[Sca-cooks] Imaginary list was Re: Irish Stew recipe

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 5 09:15:20 PST 2002

--- Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:
> Uh....pardon me for asking, but how on *earth* did
> your friend get a
> laurel for cooking if he thinks medieval food is
> inedible? What on earth
> had he been cooking, to get him a peerage???
> --Maire, really curious

Well, he'd cooked a lot of feasts, did a good job, and
as near as I can tell, got the bay leaves at the time
before period research was quite as ascendant as it is
now, other than in garb. From what I gather, brewing
is in much the same state right now, with modern brews
being given more credence because they "taste better",
and people just don't know enough about brewing to
offer a critical judgement.

Besides, of the MK Laurels I know (of) who got them
for cooking in SCA, Alys K is the only one I'm sure
who got hers for actual period cookery, which is not
to say there aren't others, just that I don't know of
them. A couple I'm reasonably sure got theirs for
political prowess, which, in its own way is quite
period ;-)

At least my friend was open enough to the concept to
discuss it with me, and be willing to teach and learn,
once he realized how very serious I was about real
Medieval cookery. There are others who are content to,
um, rest upon their laurels, other than proclaiming
themselves experts.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,