[Sca-cooks] Selene's Victory

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Tue Mar 5 15:50:55 PST 2002

From: "Philippa Alderton" <phlip_u at yahoo.com>
> --- Selene <miladyblade at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  I was a nervous wreck--and that was
> > with him just fighting the bi's.
> >

> Selene, dear, you certainly have my heartfelt
> congratulations, but forgive me if I ask a question:
> Just who or what was Gunthar fighting? The mental
> images are a bit boggling ;-)

<giggle> You have a bad mind, milady. I suspect, from earlier comments, that
she means he was fighting the "byes" - as I'm sure you know, if you have an
uneven number of combatants in an elimination tourney, some of them get a
"bye". In most sports, that means they (usually through the luck of the
draw) have the privilege of not competing in the first round. However, I
would suppose in this particular tourney, the byes were obliged to fight
someone who was not actually IN the competition, so they wouldn't have an
unfair advantage (i.e. being rested) when the second round began. Our
Gunthar seems to have served this function.