[Sca-cooks] onion soup not period?

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Tue Mar 5 15:58:36 PST 2002

> I understood the objection to be to the modern dish "French
> onion soup": onions in beef broth with bread and definitely
> with toasted cheese on top.  No wine, no almond milk (at
> least as I make it).  Possibly the onions just boiled
> without browning.  Similar but not the same thing, sort of
> like the cheesecake problem.

I dunno about your recipe for French Onion Soup, but I definitely use white
wine in mine! (Not red, it drowns out all the subtlety of the onions.) No
almond milk, though. And gratinee is just one way to serve it, though
certainly the most traditional... I've often served it without the cheese,
when I didn't have oven-safe bowls available.

Avraham