[Sca-cooks] onion soup not period? and a rose question

Dana Huffman letrada at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 5 13:47:21 PST 2002

I understood the objection to be to the modern dish "French
onion soup": onions in beef broth with bread and definitely
with toasted cheese on top.  No wine, no almond milk (at
least as I make it).  Possibly the onions just boiled
without browning.  Similar but not the same thing, sort of
like the cheesecake problem.

Does this recipe even make soup?  Could be
onions-in-wine-and-milk on toast, from what I can tell.
Almost a medieval SOS, come to think of it.

Dana/Ximena

P.S. Can anyone recommend me a good "eating" variety of
rose?  I.e. for making rose water and/or using the hips in
things?  The descriptions on the packages are notably
lacking in comments on flavor...  :)

I don't care if it is only 35 out, it's March, March is
spring, and I'm going to plant things!  So there!

While I'm on the subject, anybody know a good rototilling
service in the Olympia (Wa) area?  (Gardens are
food-related, aren't they?)
dh