[Sca-cooks] Re: yogurt (was rant) and onion soup not period?

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 5 07:29:26 PST 2002

Greetings,

I was just wondering that myself. I am doing research for a feast and
stumbled across the following in Two C15 Cookbooks:
Page 114

Soupes dorrees.--Nym oynons, mynce hem, frie hem in oille de olyue: nym
oynons, boille hem with wyn, tost whit bred, & do it in dishes / and cast
almand mylke theron, & ye wyn & ye oynons aboue, & gif hit forth

Except for the cheese part this sounds an awful lot like french onion soup.
It even had the bread on the bottom, which is how my momma makes it. Has
anyone played with this recepit? Have any thoughts?

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva