[Sca-cooks] Re: yogurt (was rant) and onion soup not period?

Chickengoddess rhiannon at madcelt.com
Tue Mar 5 04:11:18 PST 2002

Another brand to look for is Stonyfield Farm yogurt.  They have a whole milk
yogurt with cream on top.  Whole Foods has it, and I think they are now a
national chain (and suffering for it, frankly), but that may be helpful.

My question is about the onion soup remark posted earlier (I'm way behind on
my emails);  has it really been stated that french onion soup is not period?
I find that really hard to believe, because it is one of the simplest dishes
to prepare, and was not until recently considered a fancy dish.  I will
grant that calling it french onion soup particularly may not be period, but
unless I'm losing my mind, we're frying up an onion here and then boiling it
in some broth.  (I will grant that the sprinkling of cheese and floating
bread may be recent affectations).  How is this not period?

Inquiring minds just want to know.

Rhiannon Cathaoir-mor
South Downs, Meridies