Herbs (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Food rant)

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Wed Mar 6 07:56:44 PST 2002

>Hmmm. You still may not be able to do a lot, but it sounds like there
>are a number of herbs and maybe other food plants that would grow as
>potted plants on a section or around the edges of your asphalt parking
>lot.

Good thinking Stefan :-)  I happen to be using parts of that space, and
lots of the indoor space to grow bonsai.  I use plants that like shade, as
I don't get any direct sun.  Most of the fruits/vegetable and herbs prefer
direct sun.  I have managed to keep thyme, rosemary and tarragon without
too much problem.

>This article by Jadwiga might also prove useful:

I shall peruse it this evening from home, thanks for the pointer :-)

>I will be starting my herb garden again this spring. I had a electronic
>timer drip waterer hooked up to water my potted herb plants.
>Unfortunately, the battery in the timer ran out, and I didn't realize
>this until too late. So most of the herbs died. Maybe I should just
>stick to the *Flori*legium.

My bonsai sifu (master/teacher) tells me it took him about 15 years before
he understood watering of bonsai properly! :-)  Don't give up.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Kingdom of the Middle
aka