[Sca-cooks] OT - Big news!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Mar 6 13:49:53 PST 2002

Vincent Cuenca wrote:

> I am very proud to announce that there will soon be a new member of the
> family.

Wow! Congrats!

> Now we have to decide on names,

Something with both vowels and consanants would be good. (No Irish need
apply! ;-) Or Welsh!)

> what
> color to paint the nursery,

That's EASY! ORANGE!!!! It's bright and cheerful, and always feels warm.

> what persona the kid is going to have, all that.

The kid will have the persona of One-Who-Eats-Sleeps-and-Poops-Alot for
longer than you'd like. Let 'em grow up for a bit and see where their
interests lie. My girls both found things to be interested in at about
14. Plenty of time. Their brother only wants to hit things with sticks.
Not much hope for him. :-)

> Obligatory food content:
>
> can anyone recommend a good Vietnamese cookbook?  Genevieve has started
> craving pho dac viet (beef noodle soup), and at $4 a bowl it's a bit pricey
> for every day.  I figure it'll be easier to make stuff at home. :-)  No
> doubt it'll get worse as we go along; she'll end up doing shots of fish
> sauce at the end.  You just watch.

Watch the salt, and get plenty (100+grams daily) of high quality
protein. If she's craving something- try to figure out what might be
peculiar to that dish- likely a mineral that she needs.

Thus saith 'Lainie, who was once an student midwife... (god, that was
how many years ago?)

Orange! Orange is a good color!