[Sca-cooks] heat diffusers

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 6 16:51:59 PST 2002

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> I got one too.  It does diffuse the heat and makes
> simmering a bit easier to do.  My range is hotter
> than I'd like even with the diffuser - it may be my > range or the fact that I am burning propane or a
> combination.

I have to say that cast iron makes a great emergency diffuser.  Those of you who were at the Potluck two Pennsics ago may remember that I brought "ginestada" -- a pudding made with milk and rice flour.  I had previously only cooked it on my electric stove at home.  It would have scorched for sure on my propane Coleman stove, had I not stuck my 16" cast iron pan underneath the pot of pudding.

As someone once said, "If necessity is the mother of invention, then desperation is the father."

Brighid