[Sca-cooks] honey butter/ icelandic chicken

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 7 13:33:01 PST 2002

david friedman wrote:

> >I use one part honey to four parts salted butter.  Yummy on wholemeal bread, a
> >former staple of the SCA dinner table although it's been downgraded from
> >"conjecturally period" to "for medicinal uses only."  I keep it in my Feasting
> >For Kids class because squishing stuff is fun for the kids to do.
> >
> >Selene, Caid
>
> And you tell them that this is something people didn't actually do
> for feasts in the Middle Ages, but you've included it because it is
> fun?

Well, yes actually.

> Do you do gingerbrede? It's much more fun to squish than honey
> butter--for one thing, you can mold it with your fingers like
> modeling clay and get your fingers only moderately messy (relative to
> doing the same thing with honey butter).

But it requires some cooking, boiling up the honey and spices before mixing in the
bread crumbs.  This is more cooking than my class usually does.  So far, I can
perform this class with an average electrical outlet, using a toaster oven and a
hot pot for mulled apple juice, so we can hold it in a regular classroom rather
than in an actual kitchen [which may or not be accessible].

Pre-made marzipan may be a better bet, more squish for the buck as it were.

Selene, Caid