[Sca-cooks] OT dieting was Marzipan variations

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Thu Mar 7 16:25:50 PST 2002

> > FWIW, I love marzipan, too (the only one in my
> > family who seems to enjoy
> > it), but it's BAAAAAD for my diet - I've lost 40 lbs
> > since August, another
> > 100 or so to go.
>
> Whoa!! Congratulations, Avraham- that's a good job!!!!
>
> Which diet are you following? I'm betting there are a
> few here on the List who'd be happy to try it, if it's
> that effective ;-)

Actually, it's not a diet per se. One of my colleagues in the Division of
Endocrinology is an expert in this thing called Syndrome X - basically, it's
a constellation of obesity, diabetes, hypertension and coronary disease. It
seems the linking factor is elevated insulin levels. She hypothesized that
suppressing insulin levels in obese NON-diabetics would still lower blood
pressure and induce weight loss. Well, guess what - she was right. I've been
on Glucophage (metformin) since August, my fasting insulin level has gone
from 43 to 28 (normal is less than 25), my BP went from 135/90 (basically
high-normal) to 110/80 and I lost all that weight. I think I've plateaued,
which means I need to (a) tighten up my diet control and (b) start
exercising. Note, this is NOT for everyone. If your insulin response is
normal, this WILL NOT WORK for you. Insulin response is measured by a
two-hour oral glucose tolerance test, measuring insulin and glucose levels
at time 0 and every 30 minutes after administration of a 75gm glucose load,
then plugging the five resulting numbers into a complex formula.

Avraham