[Sca-cooks] onion soup not period?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 7 18:43:35 PST 2002

Also sprach Randy Goldberg MD:
>  > I know I've seen a modern recipe for onion soup that called for chicken
>>  stock, which was supposed to be from a French restaurant.
>
>The recipe I have for French Onion Soup does, in fact, call for chicken
>broth (NOT stock). It's the carmelization of the onions that should make it
>brown - a brown beef stock would totally overpower the delicate flavor of
>the onions.

That sounds good in theory, but I would seriously question its
practical reality if we're talking about caramelized onions. It's
almost like suggesting the salty concentrated ham juices overpower
the flavor of the coffee in red-eye gravy. Or, for that matter, the
other way around.

I suspect this is just something that is good either way. Especially,
in the case of brown stock, when using brown _veal_ stock.

Adamantius