[Sca-cooks] Vittoria's first feast

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Mar 11 09:34:25 PST 2002

When you are brave enough or enough time
has passed since this feast, you might
want to take a look at the professional
literature available on quantity cookery and
recipes. Books such as:

Chef's Book of Formulas, Yields, and Sizes
by Schmidt, Arno. 368 pages 2nd Ed., 1995.

Food for Fifty by Mary K. Molt. numerous editions.

Large Quantity Recipes by Margaret E. Terrell
and Dorothea B. Headlund. 4th Edition.

Moosewood Restaurant Cooks for a Crowd :
Recipes With a Vegetarian Emphasis for 24 or More
by the Moosewood Collective.

There are a number of other such works available.
They all offer a variety of helpful information.
When adjusting your adaptations for a medieval dish to
to large quantities, there is no substitute for hands-on
experience, but these volumes can prove helpful for purposes of
calculating costs, yields, timing, and portion control by
offering guidelines, conversion tables and formulas.
Most offer recipes for 50 or more servings, so that comparisons
can be made between your version of a dish for 50 and a
professional tested recipe for 50. Note the differences.
Most large public libraries and academic libraries should
own at least a selection of these. Smaller libraries should
own at least one or two.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis
snipped---
 Having been only to TWO feasts??!!  You volunteered to be the Head Cook
> >for over 50 people?  How much experience did you have being part of a feast
> >crew?
> I would say  the mistakes you made are from inexperience:  Not getting
> >enough sleep (#1),
> >not knowing the price of groceries & quantities needed
> >(#2&3)  Not having a schedule for the day written down (#4 &6)  Not having a
> >check-off list of ingredients (#5).   You'll know better for "next time"
> >around.  Just get a bit more kitchen experience in you  -- watch & learn
> >from the others.> >> >    Congratulations on your first feast!
> >    Caointiarn
>phoenissa at netscape.net wrote: >
> Only those same two feasts. snipped
> I'm still hoping to volunteer in a few
 more kitchens; I love cooking, >
> Thank you!  This was definitely
 a learning experience, and I know that
 for my next feast - whenever that may be
 - I'll be much better prepared.>