[Sca-cooks] Question on Spanish Sauces

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 12 05:15:51 PST 2002

Glad tidings and Great thanks to all,

I was thinking also that it was referring to two sauces. I was figuring to
serve both sauces and let people decide which they like. I am also serving a
ravioli from Weslerin in the same course and figured if some of the sauces
ended up on the ravioli then whoops! oh well. ;)

Again, great thanks to all who have replied, you have given me much to do.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva

> PARA HAZER CEBOLLAS ENTERAS EN CAZUELA EN DIA DE QUARESMA
> To Make Whole Onions in Casserole on a Lenten Day
> Source: _Libro del Arte de Cozina_, 1599
> Translation: Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)
> <big snip>
> You can also cover with garlic sauce and green sauce.
> <big snip>

Okay, I've checked Granado. First of all I have to mention that these are
two
separate sauces mentioned here: "ajada" (garlic sauce) and "salsa verde"
(green sauce). My interpretation is that Granado is offering a choice of two
different sauces that are compatible with this onion dish.

There is no plain ajada recipe in Granado, only the variation made with
nuts.
If you want to go with a plain garlic sauce, I'd use one of the ones from
Platina. Granado *does* have a recipe for green sauce, and here it is:

TO MAKE GREEN SAUCE
Translation: Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)
<recepit snip>

Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann Barony of Settmour Swamp,
East
Kingdom rcmann4 at earthlink.net

---