[Sca-cooks] Question on Spanish Sauces

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 11 19:03:47 PST 2002

[ Converted text/enriched to text/plain ]
On 11 Mar 2002, at 11:27, Barbara Benson wrote:

> PARA HAZER CEBOLLAS ENTERAS EN CAZUELA EN DIA DE QUARESMA
> To Make Whole Onions in Casserole on a Lenten Day
> Source: _Libro del Arte de Cozina_, 1599
> Translation: Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)
> <big snip>
> You can also cover with garlic sauce and green sauce.
> <big snip>

Okay, I've checked Granado. First of all I have to mention that these are two
separate sauces mentioned here: "ajada" (garlic sauce) and "salsa verde"
(green sauce). My interpretation is that Granado is offering a choice of two
different sauces that are compatible with this onion dish.

There is no plain ajada recipe in Granado, only the variation made with nuts.
If you want to go with a plain garlic sauce, I'd use one of the ones from
Platina. Granado *does* have a recipe for green sauce, and here it is:

PARA HAZER SALSA VERDE Source: Diego Granado, _Libro del Arte de Cozina_,
(Spanish, 1599)

Tomese peregil, cimas de espinacas, hazederas, pimpinela, y un poco de
hierbabuena, y piquese todo menudo, y majese en el mortero, con tajadillas de
pan tostado. Puedensele poner almendras, o avellanas: pero sin ellas sale mas
verde: y en estando majado todo, añadasele pimenta, y sal, destemplandola con
vinagre, y si estuviere bien majada, no aura para que passarla. De la propia
manera se haze de los pampanos tiernos de las vides.

TO MAKE GREEN SAUCE
Translation: Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)

Take parsley, shoots of spinach, sorrel, Salad burnet, and a little mint, and
chop it all very small, and grind it in the mortar, with little slices of
toasted bread. You can put in almonds, or hazelnuts, but it will be greener
without them. And and everything being ground up, add pepper and salt,
thinning it with vinegar, and if it was well ground up, there will be no need
to strain it. In the same manner, the tender shoots of grapevines are
prepared.

note: Salad burnet is Poterium Sanguisorba, an herb of Mediterranean origin in
the Rose family
http://www.greenchronicle.com/gardening/burnet_herb.htm

Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann Barony of Settmour Swamp, East
Kingdom rcmann4 at earthlink.net