[Sca-cooks] Re:Thai food history was papaya

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Mar 13 19:16:05 PST 2002

The Cambridge World History of Food
has an article on the food and drink
of world regions. "Southeast Asia"
is chapter v.b.2, volume 2, pages
1151-1165. There is a bibliography
of roughly 60 items on pages 1164-1165.

Another source might be the bibliography
for Alan Davidson's 1977 book entitled
Seafood of South-East Asia.

There is this volume:
Kæ roi samrap Thai /
Kannika Phromsao.;  Nantha Benchasilarak;  Prayad Saiwichian.
1999 Phim khrang thi 1.
Thai  Book 175 p. : ill. ; 21 cm.
Chiang Mai : Samnakphim Wannarak, ISBN: 9748530337
It's indexed under:
Thais -- Food.
Food habits -- Thailand.
Cookery, Thai -- History.
Geographic: Thailand -- Social life and customs.
Note(s): Includes bibliographical references (p. 168-175)

Another source would be this one:
Title: Chaichu’n ‘anuson.
Author(s): Chaichu’n Kamphu,; M.L.,; 1912-1997.
Damrongrachanuphap,; Prince, son of Mongkut,
King of Siam,; 1862-1943. ; Tamnan Wang na.;
Boowa Ñanasampanno,; Phra Maha. ; Moradok
lamkha khong Chaophut.; Raohinawadi Kamphu,; M.C.
; ‘Ahan Thanying Pao.
Publication: [Bangkok : s.n., Borisat Samcharœn)
Year: 1997
Language: Thai; In Thai.
Abstract: Cremation volume for Chaichu’n Kamphu, M.L.,
1912-1997; comprises a reprint of books on Thai cookery,
history of palace of uparaja (heir apparent) during
Ayutthaya and early Bangkok period, and Buddhist sermons.
 SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Cookery, Thai.
Palaces -- Thailand -- History.
Princes -- Thailand.
Buddhist sermons.

I will also check my in-laws library for anything
they have. They spent most of the 1960's there.

Hope this helps,

Johnna Holloway   Johnnae llyn Lewis