Subject: [Sca-cooks] AlternaSweet?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Mar 14 09:36:00 PST 2002

Philippa Alderton wrote:

> 'Lainie, Powerade and drinks of that ilk taste nasty
> to begin with- all they are, are generic variants on
> Gatorade, with different PC ingredients like caffeine
> added and disguised so that you can pretend you're
> doing something PC with your health. It has been my
> experience that when Gatorade and its ilk start
> tasting good, you're dehydrated, and plain water is
> better for you in that situation ;-) Yes, you do need
> electroltes, but not half as many as advertising leads
> you to believe, but you'd likely be better off with a
> pickle ;-)

In general, I would agree with you. But I do the Powerade for specific
medical reasons having to do with my medication blend, I really need the
electrolytes, and I need the vast quantity of fluids. I have found that
of the Gator-type drinks, Powerade has what I need in it, with no
caffeine, has much less acid than Gatorade (happier tummy) and has a
couple of flavors I can tolerate. Not to mention being cheaper. Though
friends and family tease me about my 'Bloo Juice'- "Juice of the
eeeevening, beyootiful blooo..."

I did contact Coca-Cola Inc about the Ace-K stuff. I was not happy about
that.

> It's kinda like the great vitamin hustle- if you're
> basicly healthy and eating a varied and reasonably
> well-balanced diet to begin with, vitamin supplements
> will either poison you if they're one of the ones you
> can't easily excrete, or be excreted, if you take them
> in excess of your bodily needs. Either way, Madison
> Avenue has sold another product.

Yup. I'm told that Americans have the most expensive urine in the world.
And interestingly enough, a study just came out with info on waterway
contamination yesterday- our shampoos, our hand creams, our fancy
sooper-dooper this and that, our vitamin and chemical enhanced
excretions... aren't necessarily being dealt with in the sewage
treatment plants, and are polluting groundwater...

'Lainie
-trying to simplify, but having limitations...