Subject: [Sca-cooks] AlternaSweet?

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 08:32:37 PST 2002

--- Marilyn Traber <marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com>
wrote:

> Give up on anything with anything but splenda, they
> all have a nasty after
> taste [well, except stevia, which has a vague almost
> anise/tarragon flavor
> in its less pure forms.]

I'll agree with Margali, here. I have no reason
whatsoever to try to use sugar substitutes myself (I'm
not on a diet, and I generally dislike pop and other
overly sweet foods to begin with), but I do frequently
use Splenda when I'm cooking something for Margali. I
have, however tried substitutes, tasting different new
products, and I've found (for my taste) that almost
all of them taste nasty.

I can tolerate Nutrasweet- until Margali turned me on
to Splenda, that had been my sugar substitute of
choice, on those rare occasions when I drank diet
anything, but I actually can't tell the difference
between Splenda and regular sugar when I've used it in
foods, so I'm actually happy to use it for something
for Margali. I did do a taste test, with it plain, vs
some real sugar, and it seemed to me that the Splenda
was somewhat sweeter per volume, so I've just made a
mental note to use less when I sub it in a normal
recipe.

I'm not personally familiar with the chemistry behind
Splenda, but Margali tells me that it is supposed to
be exactly the same thing as regular sugar, with an
additional clorine atom tacked on the molecule, so
that it tastes just like regular sugar, but the body
can't metabolize it.

'Lainie, Powerade and drinks of that ilk taste nasty
to begin with- all they are, are generic variants on
Gatorade, with different PC ingredients like caffeine
added and disguised so that you can pretend you're
doing something PC with your health. It has been my
experience that when Gatorade and its ilk start
tasting good, you're dehydrated, and plain water is
better for you in that situation ;-) Yes, you do need
electroltes, but not half as many as advertising leads
you to believe, but you'd likely be better off with a
pickle ;-)

It's kinda like the great vitamin hustle- if you're
basicly healthy and eating a varied and reasonably
well-balanced diet to begin with, vitamin supplements
will either poison you if they're one of the ones you
can't easily excrete, or be excreted, if you take them
in excess of your bodily needs. Either way, Madison
Avenue has sold another product.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,