[Sca-cooks] Ace-K/PowerAde

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at mind.net
Fri Mar 15 20:21:42 PST 2002

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> Has anyone run across 'acesulfame potassium', trade name AlternaSweet?
> It is apparently a non-Aspartame alternative sweetner, newly approved
> for beverages. Supposedly safe- no labelling or anything. I encountered
> it today in a bottle of Powerade.

I'm curious. Was this Powerade, or Powerade Light? The reply from
Coca-cola mentioned Powerade Light. I can't even find Powerade Light in
this neck of the woods (although I have heard of a Gatorade 'light'
variety). Normal Powerade has, what, 19 grams of carbs/sugar and the
labels I've read don't mention ace-K.

What I find amusing is Powerade and it's cousins are supposed to provide
carbohydrates, along with electrolytes, for athletic activity. A little
ironic/oxymoronic to come out with a low carb version. And since
Powerade has a higher sugar level than most sports drinks, they would
have to sweeten it somehow to make up for the lost sugar.

I'm wondering, since it's not available here, if it's a limited market
test, and the poor schmiels in customer service don't have the complete
and correct information yet (a job often contracted out to a different
company).

Of course, if it's potassium you want, there's always apple juice
(Martinelli's has the highest). And the best of all, that ambrosiaic
elixir dubbed "A Warrior's Drink!" by Worf:

Prune juice. (you could dilute prune juice 1:5 with water and still
match most sports drinks in potatssium, or just take a 2 oz shot and
drink water)

Maybe we should set prune juice out for a fighter's day board.....

Edouard