Comfort foods was [Sca-cooks] Ace-K/PowerAde

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Mar 16 20:03:53 PST 2002

Gawd...only *one* comfort food? Not very creative, was she? I think mine
vary depending on the type of "comfort" I need.  When I'm sick, I want
homemade chicken soup (old recipe from one of my pagan magazines) and
orange jello with 7-up, mandarin oranges and pineapple in it (my
maternal grandmother's recipe, and about the _only_ time jello ever
voluntarily crosses my lips).  If I'm frazzled, it's vanilla-swiss
almond Haagen-Dasz (sp?) or Constant Comment tea, or sekanjabin (which
I'm actually drinking now).  If it's I'm-depressed-and-I-miss-my-mom
(she's been dead several years) it's just _got_ to be Campbell's tomato
soup with little meatballs and cheese melted in, because that was one of
her favorites.
Now, I can only cop to being a Yankee (and a western one at that),
because ya gotta go, oh, about 4 generations back in my father's family
to find anyone south of the Mason-Dixon line, so I've never really had
*real* southern fried chicken.  Do you do anything special with it?
Spices? Buttermilk? What about the smashed tatters? Do you do cream
gravy? (*laughs* I'm making myself hungry, here....<g>)
I love chocolate, but it's an "indulgence" food, not a comfort one.
So, Phlip....what's your favorite *period* comfort food? Mine is
probably blancmange....all that nummy rice and chicken....hmmm....I
think I have chicken and rice _and_ almonds....hmmmm.....Sunday
dinner.....
--Maire