[Sca-cooks] Left=hand sugar

Diamond Randall ringofkings at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 17 05:52:07 PST 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

The thread on sweeteners in sports drinks reminded me of a product being
developed about 10 years ago that was made from grain, termed "left-hand
sugar".  I think Coca-Cola bought the rights to it or maybe it was General
Foods, but generally to keep it off the market.  It was a chemical mirror
image of a natural sugar molecule that acted in every way like natural sugar,
it tasted, looked and cooked alike in equal one-on-one proportion to the real
stuff.  But no living organism is capable of metabolizing it.  The mirrored
configuration does not plug in and join up right to produce a metabolic (caloric)
reaction.  The crux of this is that it is totally non-fattening, without all
the problems of our other artificial sweeteners like unpredictable results in
cooking or allergic reactions in large segments of the population.  And oh
yes, diabetics could consume as much of this as they want, though they would
still need intake of natural sugars to balance their blood chemistry.   Has
anyone heard any news of this product or has it been completely and utterly
buried by its corporate owners to squash competition?
I suppose it probably is best that this product was sidetracked.  Imagine this
product becoming extremely popular.  As it cannot be broken down in the body,
everyone's urine would be as sweet as koolade.  Eventually the oceans would
become  more sweet than salt.  Case in point that suggests this would be the
case is the recent stream and river study that has detected trace amounts of
steroids, antibiotics and other medical chemicals in the water supply in
concentrations that can affect living organisms.  All of this comes from the
amounts we ingest but do not utilize and subsequentally excrete.  These
substances are probaly affecting the micro (and therefore macro) biosphere in
ways we do not yet understand.

Akim
Je fais mal, donc, je suis.

--- Diamond Randall