[Sca-cooks] Need help with a recipe- quail

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 17 18:02:11 PST 2002

--- Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

> Hadn't thought of that option, but I will check into
> it.  Game meats are very
> difficult to find for sale in Pennsylvania, for some
> reason having to do wiht
> the state game laws that I don't quite understand.
> I know there have been
> debates about whether we can serve game at a feast
> because it might
> consititute selling it.

Where you, and many people are running into
difficulties, is the confusion between "game" and
"farmed".

There are any number of species which we think of as
game species because they usually are owned by no
single human or corporate entity, which can, and have,
been farmed. All wild creatures are considered to be
owned by the government, and their management is
therefor regulated by the government, thus the game
laws- essentially, the government is regulating the
use of its property.

OTOH, laws and permits can and have been obtained by
different individuals, allowing them to capture
various members of wild species, for breeding
purposes. The nature of the permit determines what the
permit holder may do with the animals, including raise
them for public sale or consumption.

If you purchase a live animal, or carcass, from
someone who has raised such an animal lawfully for
consumption, then the game laws have absolutely no
application to your usage of them. The only thing that
you need to do is have proof of purchase if questioned
by the wildlife authorities. Of course, keep in mind
that you're also subject to applicable laws relating
to interstate commerce, humane treatment of farm
animals, etc, as applicable. Also, if a state has made
possession of an animal or any part of it unlawful,
you're dealing with a similar set of laws to those
relating to possession, sale, and usage of marijuana
or other illegal substances.

Bottom line, purchase what you will from reputable
producers, use the purchases as you will, and have
receipts handy in case of questions.

Example- several years ago, I struck and killed a deer
with my automobile. I field dressed her and loaded her
on my car, took her to the local Sheriff's Dept, they
inspected her, and issued me a permit, and had Game
and Wildlife questioned me, I'd have shown them my
permit. Had they questioned me on the way to the
Sheriff's Dept, they'd have inspected her and issued a
permit.

Similarly, my father took me to a pheasant hunting
farm in SW Ohio, where you were allowed to shoot as
many as you paid for. In that case, they tagged all
their birds, as well as dressing them for you, so each
carcass had the tagged foot left attached. Game
Wardens, if they stopped you and questioned your being
over the state limit, would know that these were
legally purchased, farm-raised birds, even though they
had been shot, and therefor you were behaving
lawfully.

If you have a question, and want to make sure that the
decks are cleared, you can always discuss your
situation with the local or state game wardens.
They're always happy to help you act pursuant to
applicable laws ;-)

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,