[Sca-cooks] Need help with a recipe- quail

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 17 21:23:54 PST 2002

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

> How big are quail?

Not very big. As usually presented and packaged, they
are in entended position, unlike the crouched position
that most poultry are sold in, and they're about 6~
inches long, maybe 1 1/2 inch diameter at thickest.

> These are not small enough that
> you eat them
> bones and all are they?

No. If properly cooked, using a wet method such as the
recipe suggests, the meat can easily be sucked off the
bones. They're also fairly easy to bone.

> The problem may well be that
> folks weren't
> sure just how to eat these.

Very possible....

> I'm not sure how *I*
> would do this. Try
> to pick teeny, tiny shreads of meat off of tiny
> bones? Pick up the
> entire carcase and gnaw on it? Try to break apart
> the carcass with
> the fork and knife and then try to pick off enough
> meat to eat?

Well, looks like a project for Pennsic, doesn't it
Stefan. Stuufed with disguised carrots and zucchini
maybe? ;-)

> Perhaps the populace just needs some
> instruction/direction. Do the
> period courtesy books say anything about eating the
> small birds?
> (Other than perhaps not to eat the bird whole and
> then spit out the
> bones. :-) )

Acyually, I'd rate then very easy to eat, just a bit
unfamiliar to the diners. Tasty, too. Like most game
animals, which haven't been bred for years for
additional fat, they're very lean, so a wet cooking
method is best suited to them. The recipe looks like
it would be very good, and very doable.

> Stefan
> Back from Gulf Wars. I am really, really hating the
> overhead and
> hassle that is required to camp at a week long SCA
> event... At least
> for just two people.

Well, it'll be Pennsic soon enough. It's getting to be
time for SPCA to start making plans. I filled out the
order form for Margali to order our in camp shower and
potty needs this evening. Soon as the money arrives
from her budgeting, we'll be sending away for them.
More on SPCA List.....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,