[Sca-cooks] RE Haggis

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Mar 17 23:15:06 PST 2002

Waryn de Ashley said:
>     To further the haggis search:
>
>     Ohio has a Scottish festival every year, which I assumed would be the
> perfect place to finally get to try some haggis...  Alas, it was not to be.
> All cultural sterotypes aside, it was lots of men in kilts and some sheep,
> but no haggis....  I have dug up a lead on a place here in Columbus that
> makes it once or twice a year, but that seems to be as close as we get in
> Ohio...

Well, why not make your own? Other than the lungs, which are illegal
to sell in the USA, you cn get the rest of the ingredients for
"traditional" haggis. I say "traditional" because there are a number
of haggis recipes that do not involve using organ meats. In fact, the
actual period recipes I have for haggis are of this later type. For
more info on haggis, including recipes both period and post period,
check this file in the Florilegium:
haggis-msg        (94K) 10/25/01    Scottish haggis recipes. comments on haggis.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/haggis-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net