[Sca-cooks] The differences between creams

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 18 08:34:24 PST 2002

As marketed to the export market:  none.  I really dislike the tiny jars
of metallic-tasting cream they sell in America though.

Technically, Devon Cream is simply cream from the shire of Devon in
south-western England, which is wonderful stuff, very high in butterfat
and makes clotted cream easily.  Clotted cream is fresh cream left to
warm gently all day, the firmer bit floating on top by tea-time is
skimmed off and served with scones and jam.  It's about the texture of
American sour cream, but not sour of course.  I got sick on the stuff
the first time I tried it, it was Soooo good.  I had some in Cornwall
where they served a dollop in top of a vanilla ice cream cone.  You
might as well just paint the insides of your arteries and the outsides
of your hips with the stuff, but it tastes too good to care.  Oh my.

I have not tried to make it in the U.S., the cream is less rich here and
I'm not sure I could afford enough raw cream to do the clotting process
anyway.

Selene, Caid