[Sca-cooks] Re: Dissolving Saunder

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Mon Mar 18 10:17:03 PST 2002

Hi. The best way to get a red color is to use red wine mixed with the red
sandalwood. Put it in a glass vessel & heat it for a few minutes. Then
filter out the sandalwood. In my experience, sandalwood stays gritty to the
tooth, if that makes any sense, & personally I don't care for it to be left
in the dish.

Another way is to use hot lard & add sandalwood powder to that. Cook
briefly, strain out the sandalwood, & use the colored lard. I haven't found
any medieval sources that use this technique for sandalwood, although it is
used often for alkanet.

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow