[Sca-cooks] Hog Parts and Collectables

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 18 19:51:46 PST 2002

--- "Harris Mark.S-rsve60"
<Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com> wrote:
> Argh. Maybe I've been on this list too long.
>
> I just opened a bit a SPAM mail with the title "Hog
> Parts and
> Collectables".

S'OK, Stefan, when I saw it on Cook's List, I was
wondering myself- Smithfield smoke a hog's head maybe,
to preserve it for future events?

> I did see in the Fiesta grocery just before Gulf
> Wars, huge
> blocks of suet. 12 inches x 12 inches x 6 inches.
> I'm not sure
> what I would use those for, though. Or would those
> be what I
> would need as the starting for point for getting
> tallow for
> candles? Except I think those were pork, reportedly
> the worst
> kind of tallow to use.

1. Render for lard.
2. Render for soap.
3. Set out for the birds.

Lotsa uses for pork fat, Stefan. It's just not used
commonly by moderns, but down in your area, I wouldn't
be surprised if the Spanish folks use a fair amount
for refried beans, among other goodies.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,