[Sca-cooks] Ram's Little Dodoen

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 19 10:04:13 PST 2002

jemoore at firstam.com wrote:

>  Not sure if anyone can help me...
>
> Looking for a facsimile copy or even a translated copy of Ram's Little
> Dodoen
>
> Preferably online somewhere...

There's not much about this work online. Amazon and ABEBooks come up dry.
What I find, I present here.

I've found a nice bibliography of Medieval Gardens which includes it at
<http://members.tripod.com/~brandtfamily/med_gardens_bib.htm>

Ram, William. .Ram's Little Dodoen. London: 1606. Abbreviation of Rembert
Dodoens's .Herbal. London: G. Dewes 1578]

Related items:

Lyte, Henery .Niew Herball or history of plants, translsation of Rembert
Dodoens' s .Herbal. London: London :.G. Dewes, 1578.

Dodoens, Rembert .Medecijn van der stadt van Mechelen. Ghedruckt
Tantwerpen by Jan vander Loe. trans lated by Henery Lyte London: G. Dewes
1578.

-=-=-=-=-

<http://indigo.ie/~imago/dubh/news9.html>

The Agricultural Year

January: With this fyre I warm my hand
February: With this spade I digge my land
March: Here I cut my Vine spring
April: Here I hear the birds sing
May: I am as fresh as bird on bough
June: Corn is weeded well enough
July: With this sithe my grasse I mowe
August: Here I cut my corne full lowe
September: With this flaile I earne my bread
October: Here I sowe my wheats so red
November: With this axe I kill my swine
December: And here I brew both ale and wine.

from Ram's Little Dodoen - Herbal of 1606.

-=-=-=-=-

http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/pillow.htm

SCA member's redaction of a sleep pillow, citing the period recipe from
Ram's in full

-=-=-=-=-

http://tulgey.browser.net/~EKherb/TISANE5.HTM

Newsletter from the East Kingdom's Herbalists and Apothecaries' Guild.
Therein is chronicled herbal gifts to the crown, as documented in Ram's
Little Dodoen, concocted by none other than this list's Jadwiga
Zajaczkowa.  Perhaps she has a copy, hmmm?

I hope this helps a little,
Selene, Caid