[Sca-cooks] OOP: Stove info wanted

Susan Browning swbro at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 19 11:34:14 PST 2002

snip

> So what are the features you can't live without, and which are a waste of
> money? Any brands that are particularly reliable? If I go with gas I think
> I'll have to hire somebody to rehook the gasline in the basement; I
> believe it was capped off after it hooked up to the dryer when a previous
> owner switched to electric.  At least as far as I can tell, I do have the
> piping in the kitchen to hook up to, it just doesn't have any gas in it
> now.  I don't have a vent/hood, and actually have only cooked on a stove
> with one at my parents.  Are they important?  My mother swears by it, but
> she doesn't like her house to smell like cooking. Peronally, I think
> that's silly, but I don't know what else a hood is supposed to be good
> for.

You definately want a hood, especially if you go with gas, unless you count
scrubbing your ceiling every six months as fun.   If you don't, you will end
up with a black film on your ceiling.  It is also handy for those occasional
accidents that entail lots and lots of smoke billowing up from your stove.

Eleanor