[Sca-cooks] OOP: Stove info wanted

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at admin.is.cornell.edu
Tue Mar 19 12:02:18 PST 2002

>If I had it all to do over again, I'd try to find a stove that had gas
>burners on the top (easier to control and when yo turn them off, they're
>really off!) and an electric oven (heat in a gas one is just 'way to
>uneven.

     Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about that.  My parents have the cooktop separate from the ovens, but they're both electric.  It would be a wonderful option if I were redoing the whole kitchen!  I'll have to check more carefully; the little I've checked so far (brochures from one store) have only all-in-one units, all one power source.  Though there are actually a couple that still manage to fit in two ovens, or a regular oven and a convection oven (outside my budget).

>And yes, I do like having my hood over my stove.  The original plans for our
>house called for the cooktop to be on an island in the center of the
>kitchen...that meant that the hood wouldn't vent to the outside.  So I moved
>the stove to an outside wall where I can have a fan that's vented to the outside.

     The stove is against what was once an outside wall, but since then a garage has been added.  Is the vent in the wall, or the ceiling?  It seems like it would be an area of terrible heat loss (and I have enough trouble keeping my house warm).  It's not a job I think I should take on myself, but I hadn't counted on hiring somebody to do stuff.  Of course, I will have to if I go with gas anyway, as the line has to be reconnected, so I guess they could do both.  It's a good thing I asked here; there's obviously much more to this than I had realized.

Sandra Kisner
sjk3 at cornell.edu