[Sca-cooks] OOP: Stove info wanted

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 19 15:18:36 PST 2002

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> My personal preference is for gas stove. I have
> never had trouble
> baking in a gas oven.

 Yeah, that's one thing I wanted to address- someone
had mentioned they thought bad heat distribution had
caused their baked goods to burn on the outside, and
be raw on the inside.

Heat distribution is not the problem. In any
reasonably well insulated stove, the heat in the oven
won't vary more than a degree from one area to
another. What can be, and usually is, the problem, is
that the valve is set too hot, so that you're actually
cooking at 375 or 400 degrees, when the little dial
says 350. This is easily adjustable- the gas man did
it for me when he came to make sure my new old stove
was hooked up properly. To check, get an oven
thermometer, and check what it says at various
settings. Those little numbers on the dial are just
that, little numbers on the dial, not a thermostat,
and only if you're lucky, or careful/knowledgeable do
they bear on the actual temperature ;-)I'm sure almost
everyone is aware of a stove where the owner has said
to adjust the dial up or down a bit to get the right
temperature.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,