[Sca-cooks] OOP: Stove info wanted

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Tue Mar 19 16:12:30 PST 2002

> The thing I despise about gas stoves is the inability
> to simmer anything. long slow cooking just isn't an option.
> Gas ovens have their advantages though; you turn them on
> and they are at temperature immediately, rather than needing
> the long heating up time of electric ovens.
>
> Mind you, I
> haven't been able to cook rice on my current stove at all
> as it is gas and only seems to have the options of boil
> fast or boil slow.

That's easily fixed - get a "flame tamer", also called a "heat
diffuser". Cooking.com has one by Moulinex for $17.75, happycookers.com
has several varieties raning from $9 to $33. Basically, it's a metal
plate that sits between your pot and the gas, spreading out the heat
instead of concentrating it where the flame meets the pot. Cast iron
ones like the Moulinex work really really well. I suppose, in a pinch,
you could stand your pot inside a cast iron frying pan.....

Avraham