[Sca-cooks] OOP: Stove info wanted

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 19 18:53:07 PST 2002

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au wrote:
>The thing I despise about gas stoves is the inability
>to simmer anything. long slow cooking just isn't an option.

Whoa! What kind of gas stoves do you Ozzies have? I feel your pain,
but at least here in the USA i've never had this sort of problem. I
always been able to adjust the flame on the gas stoves i've used with
pretty good control. Is your problem a bug or a "feature"? Most of us
on list are from the US, and maybe Australian stoves are different
from ours - and i'm sure all of us Americans advocating gas use
really different stoves from each other.

SNIP
>Mind you, I
>haven't been able to cook rice on my current stove at all
>as it is gas and only seems to have the options of boil
>fast or boil slow.

I cook lots of rice on my gas stoves (and in thin Revereware and
Farberware pans without burning). I suspect that perhaps there's some
sort of design flaw with yours or else the gas ring is clogged.

I know that there are differences between my 16 year old Coleman
propane stove and a new one - apparently mine cooks hotter -
sometimes designers hamstring function when trying to make things
"safer". Now i'm having problems with my Coleman (i haven't kept it
as clean as i should have) and i really don't want one of those new
stoves that takes FOREVER to boil water.

Anahita