[Sca-cooks] Cast iron pots

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 19 22:54:16 PST 2002

Eirene said:
> Then I hear that cast iron pots aren't period. Obviously pots built like th=
> e one at Mastermyr are period, but they're usually somewhat more expensive =
> to obtain than the cast iron pots.  I haven't been able to confirm or refut=
> e this, and was wondering if anyone has definitive information either way, =
> or can direct me to it.

Correct, it appears that the technology to cast an iron pot did not
exist until late in our period. However, this doesn't mean they
couldn't make pots by hammering iron plate into shape and fastening
that together. However, there are various reasons that other materials
might have been preferred for most pots including cost and wieght.

For more details on this, check some of the messages in this file
in the FOOD-UTENSILS section of the Florilegium:
utensils-msg     (166K)  4/11/01    Utensils, plates, trenchers, cast iron pots.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/utensils-msg.html

This file might be useful if you are using modern cast iron pots:
iron-pot-care-msg (22K)  2/ 1/00    Seasoning and caring for iron pots and
                                       skillets.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/iron-pot-care-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net