[Sca-cooks] um, red cabbage in period?

Diana Skaggs upsxdls_osu at mail.ionet.net
Wed Mar 20 04:46:20 PST 2002

At 12:07 PM 3/18/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Also sprach jenne at fiedlerfamily.net:
>>Do we have any documentation for red cabbage in period? I know German
>>cooks swear it is period, but I kinda need a book reference if there is
>>one for something I'm writing.
>
>Marx Rumpolt, in his 1581 "Ein New Kochbuch", sez:
>
>>33. Nimb ein rot Haeuptkraut/ schneidts fein klein/ vnd quells
>>ein wenig in warmen Wasser/ kuels darnach geschwindt auß/ machs mit
>>Essig vnd Oel ab/ vnd wenn es ein weil im Essig ligt/ so wirt es schoen rot.
>
>Roughly translated:
>
>Take a head of red cabbage/ cut it nice and small/ and blanch
>it a little in hot water/ then cool quickly/ make it with vinegar and oil/
>and if it lies a while in the vinegar/ it becomes nice and red.
>
>HTH,
>
>Adamantius

I used this salad in my German feast last fall.  I used a ratio of 2:1:1 of
olive oil, red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar. Bear also suggested (and
I did) I add a bit of sugar to the dressing to cut the bitterness of the
vinegar. The neatest thing about this salad: when the cabbage is blanched,
it turns a nauseating blue color. But, when the dressing is added, it turns
a beautiful burgundy red.  Also, it could have marinated awhile. I took
what little was left over home with me. It stayed crisp for a couple more
days.

Liadan