[Sca-cooks] OOP: Stove info wanted

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Wed Mar 20 04:53:09 PST 2002

> I admit, the stove in my old apartment couldn't be reliably set as
low.
> I mean, I could set it low, but not steady. I'd still rather have that
> than electric, though. I started everyday cooking on an electric
stove.
> I'd bring something to a boil, and try to turn down the heat, and it
> would boil over... or things would burn, or... I hate not being able
> control heat at once!

A trick for those with electric stoves, and not too many dishes cooking
at once - set one burner (preferably in back) on high, and one in front
on low - and move your pot back and forth as needed to control the
temperature.

> That said, I do like the electric oven. My Perfect Kitchen (which I
will
> never have!) would be a gas range and an electric wall oven. I almost
> never have cause to use the broiler, and it is down around my ankles,
> and between one thing and another, I never use it at all, because it
is
> too much of a nuisance. The electric one I could broil in the oven,
and
> use it just to top brown, or finish something off, and it was simple,
> and I probably used the broiler as much that year as I have in the 23
> years since!

My gas wall oven broils in the main chamber; there isn't a separate
broiler.