[Sca-cooks] Vatel....on Cable/Satellite

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 20 09:52:59 PST 2002

Selene of Caid wrote:
>I'd be mightily impressed if you could name an unflawed movie!

I only mentioned this because it got bad reviews. There certainly are
better movies (as movies go) with better acting, direction, scripts,
etc., but while Vatel wasn't really excellent, it was quite good. I
just didn't want some folks deciding not to see it based on the
scribblings of reviewers who wanted a fast-paced action flick.

>Yah, they played
>a bit with historical fact, but it was miles better than
>"Braveheart" or a dozen
>other "historical" epics I could name.

Ee-yew! The film whose name should not be uttered! Now THAT was
Mystery Science Theater -  It was a mystery how it got made into a
file - and, boy, did i have running commentary on that piece of
ordure! Am i ever glad i saw it at home, and not in a theater - i
don't think i could have stood seeing Mel's grotty face filling up a
whole wall over and over and over and over and over... (didn't he
understand why films have *editors*?)

How can you even mention that travesty, that waste of good celluloid,
in the same post as Vatel?!?!? (anyone what to know what *i really*
thought of (gulp, grit teeth, inhale) "Braveheart"? Sheesh, now i
have to go wash my mouth out, errr, hands and keyboard...)

As far as history goes, i watched Vatel mostly as a film (to see if
it was a decent movie) and very little as history (i don't expect
movies to present accuracy in all things - if they suggest some
semblance of verisimilitude i'm satisfied) - although i was certainly
interested in the feast scenes... whether or not they were really
accurate, they were certainly impressive :-)

>  > I'm just glad that i only have to cook one or two feasts a year and
>  > the King of the West is not like the King of France :-)
>  >
>  > The scenes in which Vatel is selecting ingredients, the minions are
>  > cooking, and then Vatel is arranging the food - what can i say, i got
>  > nervous for him :-)
>
>Me too!  Watch this one with other SCA cooks for extra fun.  Mystery Science
>Theater 1600, anybody?

Well, more like MST 1670, but, yes, watch it with other experienced
feast cooks :-)

Anahita