[Sca-cooks] Vatel....on Cable/Satellite

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 12:41:55 PST 2002

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> I only mentioned this because it got bad reviews.

What bad reviews?  When it came out, it played in only
two theaters.  One in New York and one in Los Angeles.

Both the LA Times and the NY Times loved it.  Both
Ademantius and I loved it.  We both gave it two big
thumbs ups.

> Well, more like MST 1670, but, yes, watch it with
> other experienced
> feast cooks :-)

I did.  I took Selene and her husband, Jared, Bonne
and her husband and one daughter, and two of my
apprentices.  We all really enjoyed the feast and
cooking scenes.  The only quibbles I had with the film
were with the female costuming.  I also went to see it
a month earlier with a professional costumer friend
and we thought that the costuming was mostly passable,
with a couple of exceptions.  While there was a
fashion craze for Middle Eastern themes during the
late 17th century, neither of us were entirely
convinced that the dresses worn would have looked as
the movie portrayed them.

I have three copies of Vatel on video.  I am keeping
one.  I am giving giving one to a friend.  I haven't
decided what to do with the third one yet.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.