[Sca-cooks] Ceramic cooking pots was Re:Master Hroars Email

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 13:04:17 PST 2002

--- Mercy Neumark <mneumark at hotmail.com> wrote:

> As far as pipkin recipes, I know I've seen some, but
> I don't know how period
> they are.  Momma Huette...didn't you find one awhile
> back?

I found two recipes so far that mention using pipkins.
They are both late Elizabethan.  They also don't
designate whether the pipkins were clay or metal.
However, I only found them in passing.  I wasn't
really looking for references to pipkins.  It is very
likely there are more references than these.

> I plan on making a LARGE pipkin myself in the summer
> (after I finish my 30
> matching plates and bowls for Dame Selene's feast
> this June 15th).  The ones
> I've made were about as big as a basketball, I
> think.

No, dear, they are way smaller than that.  The one I
have barely holds a quart of liquid.  The others that
you made were only slightly bigger.  More like larger
that a softball, but smaller than a volleyball.  If
you make the next bigger than a basketball, that would
be great!  Even better would be beachball size.

 I'm going to try to
> take it up twice the size if I can get the clay
> right.  Problem with
> earthenware is than it is much softer (the varieties
> here) so it's harder to
> throw big.
>
> Pictures of my pottery are on my MSN community site,
> BTW.  I can't remember
> the url.  ARG!  I'll try to get it.

This isn't from your website, but from the Caidan A&S
site with pictures of the winning Pentathlon entries:

http://www.sca-caid.org/arts&sciences/pentathlon/index2.html

Artemesia's pipkins are in the lower left corner.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.