[Sca-cooks] FW:request for recipe(s)

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 13:08:52 PST 2002

--- "Weems, Lora" <Lora.Weems at ssa.gov> wrote:

Well, while this is more Cousin Phillipa's field of
knowledge, I will tell you that it's my favorite
Jewish Holiday because of the lamb that is eaten, lamb
being my favorite red meat ;-)

My observations indicate that most Jewish recipes tend
to be adaptations of the recipes used in the culture
they were residing in, so I suspect that a period lamb
recipe, for example, would be perfectly acceptable, as
long as it had no trief ingredients or techniques
involved- cooking in or with milk, for example.

Lamb, as you may know, is traditional in both the
Christian Easter meal and the Jewish Passover meal
because in Christ's time, lamb was sacrificed in the
temple on Passover, and the Last Meal was supposed to
be a Passover supper. (See, cuz, I really have been
studying ;-)

Phlip

> I belong to the SCA apprentice list.  (It is a
> members-only list, and no-one
> who is a Master/Mistress can join.)  The question
> below was posted earlier
> today.  Can anyone here help?  you can either send
> info directly to her, or
> you can just post it here and I will fwd it.  Many
> thanks on her behalf!
>
> Leofwynn
>

> Message: 7
>    Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 21:20:46 -0500
>    From: "Carol Mooney" <mooney_carol at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Recipe needed
>
> I hope no one takes offense at this but my church
> has decided to celebrate
> Maundy Thursday by having a seder, so we can better
> understand the
> importance of Passover.  So I was hoping that
> someone might be able to share
> with me a recipe that would be relevant to Passover,
> if it was a period
> recipe even better.
>
> Thank you in advance
>

> _