[Sca-cooks] Full beards, no moustache, for Philp

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Thu Mar 21 11:54:49 PST 2002

Phlip said:
----------------
The other is the
same law which Orthodox Jewish men obey, in so far as
not cutting their facial hair.
----------------

So, which law is this?

-----------------
The Amish began as a dissident sect of the Swiss
Mennonites in the mid or late 17th century, and at
that time, almost all military men wore mustaches, and
the shaving of the mustache represented their
rejection of military values and practices.
----------------

So, if the military men of the time had been clean-
shaven, the Mennonites would now a days have beards
and mustaches?

I think a lot of religious rules/laws/traditions
probably came about for similar reasons, although
some like the Jewish restrictions on pork probably
had practical health reasons, as well.

Scuba divers shave their mustaches, btw, because if
they don't, their diving masks won't seal right ;-)

While I've known folks on factory evacuation/fire teams
who couldn't wear beards because they interfere with
air masks, this is the first I've heard of this for
mustaches for SCUBA diving. I dove for several years
and had/have a mustache and never had a problem with this.

Stefan li Rous