Seder, was Re: [Sca-cooks] FW:request for recipe(s)

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Thu Mar 21 20:47:06 PST 2002

> OK, exactly what is dipping? Ceremonial dipping of
> bread into wine? And why and how would this be a
> symbolic act, at least for the Jews?

Actually, it refers to dipping a bit of greens, once into salt water
(representing tears) and once into bitter herbs (traditionally
horseradish in my family, representing the bitterness of the lives of
the Hebrews under Pharaoh).

> I really would like to understand, and I really wasn't
> raised in any of the traditions most closely
> associated with people of the book. My readings of the
> Bible have touched on many of the better known
> passages, but I've never seen anything that has
> convinced me that "This is the ONLY way, there is no
> other", although I find it very interesting as poetry,
> and a spritual and emotional history of many of my
> friends, including Jews and Christians. I too have
> faith, and morals, but they're based on observed fact
> and logical ethics, rather than the writings of any
> man or men.

Judaism, at least, has never claimed to be The One True Way. It claims
only to be The Right Way For Jews. If you're not born a Jew, you don't
HAVE to do it our way. There are seven basic laws (called the Seven Laws
of the Sons of Noah) you must follow if you're not Jewish, and that's
about it.
1. Don't kill
2. Don't steal
3. No polytheism or idol worship
4. No sex crimes
5. Keep laws and justice in your society
6. Don't commit cruelty to animals
7. Don't blaspheme G-d
Of course, if you ARE born Jewish (or decide, more fool thou, to
convert), you ARE obligated to the whole kit and kaboodle.

Avraham