[Sca-cooks] Judaism- was Re: Seder, etc

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 22 12:51:55 PST 2002

--- Randy Goldberg MD <goldberg at bestweb.net> wrote:

> Judaism, at least, has never claimed to be The One
> True Way. It claims
> only to be The Right Way For Jews. If you're not
> born a Jew, you don't
> HAVE to do it our way. There are seven basic laws
> (called the Seven Laws
> of the Sons of Noah) you must follow if you're not
> Jewish, and that's
> about it.
> 1. Don't kill
> 2. Don't steal
> 3. No polytheism or idol worship
> 4. No sex crimes
> 5. Keep laws and justice in your society
> 6. Don't commit cruelty to animals
> 7. Don't blaspheme G-d
> Of course, if you ARE born Jewish (or decide, more
> fool thou, to
> convert), you ARE obligated to the whole kit and
> kaboodle.

OK, that mostly makes sense to me. Only objection I
can see right off, would be to number 3- I don't
really see where Jews would have the right to dictate
non-Jews' beliefs. Considering how much we've
discussed about the appearance of things being
important, I can see that this might cause some strife
with Christians, for example, with the Trinity being
perceived both as thrre separate Persons, and aspects
of One, and the ever-present Crucifixes, with or
without a bleeding Jesus on them. But otherwise,
prohibitions against Murder, Theft, Rape, Lawbreaking,
Animal abuse, and Blasphemy are reasonable, and
generally are the basic rules which any society should
observe.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,