[Sca-cooks] body piercing

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 22 03:53:22 PST 2002

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Gunthar declared:
>>  Now to go get my navel pierced....
>
>Hmmm. Now that you remind me, I can't remember this subject coming
>up on the Rialto or elsewhere previously, so..
>
>Does anyone know if self body piercing was practiced (for appearance,
>tradition, custom) in period? And by which cultures? I seem to
>remember that tatooes were frowned upon by the Church, so likely
>they would not have liked body piercing either. But maybe there
>were non-christian peoples that did practice this?

I believe many observant Jews (in fact, I'm fairly certain of it)
object to body-piercing, tattoos and other voluntary
"self-mutilation" in that it changes the basic structure of the body,
showing a basic disrespect for The Eternal's plans in this regard.
"If G-d had wanted you to have a pierced nose, He would have given
you a spike!" Some have a problem with being buried in a "mutilated"
state.

Adamantius