[Sca-cooks] steam-baking

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 22 07:26:53 PST 2002

Only it wasn't a computer that did this translation....it was to very
scholarly gentlemen with PhD's...I'm not sure why they didn't translate this
particular word, but I do know that oftentimes scholars will use the
original word as there may not have been an accurate translation of it.  In
Chinese, a good example is the word  "mei", which is usually translated as
"plum", but it refers to a fruit that's not really like what we think of as
a plum.  When Dr. Anderson and Teresa Wang worked on the translation of Ni
Tsan's manuscript, this was one of the things they pointed out in their
notes was this very problem.

Kiri