[Sca-cooks] body piercing

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Mar 22 10:20:34 PST 2002

Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

> Adamantius wrote:
>
> > I believe many observant Jews (in fact, I'm fairly certain of it)
> > object to body-piercing, tattoos and other voluntary
> > "self-mutilation" in that it changes the basic structure of the body,
> > showing a basic disrespect for The Eternal's plans in this regard.
> > "If G-d had wanted you to have a pierced nose, He would have given
> > you a spike!" Some have a problem with being buried in a "mutilated"
> > state.
>
> My mother has referred to that last -- but sometime after that she got her
> ears pierced, unlike the rest of her family.  Go figure.

When I was a girl and wanted my ears pierced, my dad fumed about it, and
tried to come up with Biblical basis to disallow it. He finally relented
when he realized that from his searching for such, he could show that
Hebrew women had pierced ears. And pierced noses, too, though _I_
refused to go so far! Finally got pierced ears at 16. My girls had them
done at 14 (rite-of-passage. They get to wear makeup too).

'Lainie