[Sca-cooks] body piercing

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Fri Mar 22 11:23:26 PST 2002

In a message dated 3/22/02 6:55:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

> >Does anyone know if self body piercing was practiced (for appearance,
> >tradition, custom) in period? And by which cultures? I seem to
> >remember that tatooes were frowned upon by the Church, so likely
> >they would not have liked body piercing either. But maybe there
> >were non-christian peoples that did practice this?

There are plenty of African cultures that get pierced lips, noses, ears etc.
Though some of these tribes and societies don't use just simple rings/hoops.
A plate is inserted through the opening to show wealth. The bigger the plate,
well you get the idea.  This is just the one example I remember from reading
National Geographic. I don't know how far back into out period these customs
go, but it's a starting point if anyone wants to research it.

Finn