[Sca-cooks] horseradish

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 22 11:53:19 PST 2002

--- "Harris Mark.S-rsve60"
<Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com> wrote:
> Morgan answered my questions with:
> --------------------

> <puzzled>  We do use the root, not leaves.  Some
> people have it whole and
> eat slices; most people make a paste.  You can get
> the jarred stuff (the red
> is my favourite, as it looks prettier on gefilte
> fish, and it's slightly
> sweeter because of the beets) but people take pride
> in making their own,
> which is much stronger because of the freshness.
> Our senior rabbi makes
> some that will clear out not only your sinuses, but
> those of the two people
> sitting on either side of you.

Since I haven't gotten the original post yet, I'm
going to jump in here, and ask you if you can either
get your rabbi to make me a batch, or get his recipe-
this sounds WONDERFUL- I LOVE horseradish. Between
Lamb and Horseradish, I'm going to start considering
celebrating Passover myself, if not converting ;-D

> I've not thought of horseradish root as being
> 'bitter' before.
> This may be because most of the horseradish I've had
> was packed
> in vinegar or had vinegar in the sauce, so any
> bitterness was
> probably assumed to be a function of the vinegar and
> not the
> horseradish itself.

Well, vinegar tends to make things sour, not bitter.

I do have some fresh horseradish
> root at
> home. If I slice it up and fry it like "French
> Fries" this
> should give a good experience of the natural taste
> without
> any additions such as would be in the sauce.

Stefan, both cooking it and using the oil is going to
change the taste. May I suggest that you just peel a
bit, getting down to the white part, and taste a
shred? It's quite safe- when I was a kid, there was a
horseradish patch nearby, and we used to love digging
up a bit of the root for a munchie. I will warn you,
though, fresh horseradish root is quite hot and tangy,
so more than a shred may be more than you can
comfortably handle.

> My question still remains about whether horseradish
> grows in the
> Middle East or whether the Jews started using this
> plant when
> they migrated to Europe.

Don't know. Do know that it grows quite happily wild
in temperate climates such as the US provides. Any of
you folks in the hot dry areas grown it, or found it
wild?

Phlip

Phlip

=====