[Sca-cooks] Anyone going to March (West) Crown?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Mar 22 23:12:06 PST 2002

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> 'Lainie commented:
> > - who won't be at Summits either. I'm broke, and camping in March in
> > Oregon strikes me as something along the mad-dogs-and-Englishmen sort of
> > thing to do. My dearest is going without me. :-(
>
> I will admit that this last weeks Gulf Wars varied from cold to too
> hot and too muggy, but I thought west Oregon was balmy this time
> of year? Or is it primarily high humidity that is the problem there
> this time of year?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Oh, man that hurts! (wiping eyes)

Stefan, that high humidity is called RAIN. We don't get it like you do
in Texas- instead of the big thunderstorm that washes the trilers out to
sea, we get a little all the time. We have May Drown. September Drown.
Egils Mud-Wallow. It dries out briefly in July and August. But balmy? Oh
GAWD. Now- we're looking at the usual for March- 40's, maybe into the
50's. Grey skies. And rain/showers/drizzle/whatever. Sodden. Keeps
everything green. Especially after the mold has grown on it. The tourney
field is usually slick. Everyone has a good wool cloak and a hat. We
have rainshades instead of sunshades. A girlfriend of mine who was a
field herald broke down and bought some of the East German army boots
from the surplus store- to stay dry while working. Mink oil is your
friend. Thompson's WaterSeal is your friend. And a fist of quarters and
an industrial drier Monday morning is your Best Friend!

> Well, we got up to the East Kingdom 12th Night this last January.
> Maybe we ought to try the northwest sometime. It's one part of the
> US that I've never visited.

Yes, you should! Things start drying out around Memorial Day, and the
chance of rain is so-so on Labor Day. Between it might rain, but is
usually fairly nice. Break out the high SPF. Things get a little too hot
sometimes, but not muggy. And the green usually lasts until the end of
August.

'Lainie
-more rain? I didn't order any rain! Hey! Who ordered the rain? Mebbe
the guy next door. Do you have any twisty bread?