[Sca-cooks] horseradish fries

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 24 07:51:47 PST 2002

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

> I *like* my horseradish sauce to be hot. In a
> reasonable
> quantity, it should make your eyes water. I really
> like
> breaded, fried mushrooms. But all too many places
> want to
> serve them with ranch dressing or something wimpy.
> Even
> some of those that offer a horseradish sauce have
> one
> that is too mild.

Well, Stefan, most people don't like intensely spicy
things, and in your area, when people think about Hot
Things, quite understandably, hot peppers tend to come
to mind. Most of the sauces that you get are in a
mayonaisse base, the intention being to cut the heat,
and get the light horseradish flavor.

> I had forgetten that they
> were
> dipped in buttermilk and flour before frying. So,
> this
> might cool down some of the sharpness of the
> horseradish.

Well, horseradish is like hot peppers, in that it
comes in various shades of hotness, like hot peppers
(but, I believe, the same plant will vary
considerably, depending on how much rain is received-
less meaning it tends to be hotter) but like mustard,
will get milder as time goes on. My preference, when
preparing it, is to clean the roots, grate them, and
liquify them a bit with a decent flavored vinegar, and
use immediately. Rather than eating them plain, I like
to have them as a go-with, and use them as the
condiment on crackers and cheese, or with rare roast
beef. Margali got a root the other day, but I haven't
done anything with it yet, because we haven't been
getting anything to use as a go-with.

> I still haven't had a chance to try these. Maybe at
> the
> SPCA camp at Pennsic....

Sounds like fun. That new Giant Eagle seems to have
EVERYTHING, and I'd be happy to see that we got some
to try. Wanna make it a "Stefan learns to cook"
project? It would also give you a bit of experience in
breading and frying techniques, and I think it would
be quite tasty ;-)

(FWIW- I do not in the least think Stefan is an idiot-
on the contrary, he's a very intelligent man and a
much loved and trusted friend, who simply hasn't had
much experience with cooking. Whenever I run into
something which might help him in his efforts to
learn, I try to teach him, as I did with the Lobster
at 12th Night.)

Margali just got in, and she said that she had found
the Red Horseradish in the refrigerator section with
the Kosher foods.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,